Is your pillow giving you a pain in the neck?
June 09, 2014
Your pillow supports a quarter of your total body weight, and since we spend about a third of our lives with our head on a pillow, It may well be influencing the quality of your sleep. Make sure it does the job well.
Pillow talk? No, rather pillow health.
So how to go about picking the perfect pillow for a healthier you. Goldilocks found her “just right for me” pillow by testing and trying what was available to her...Luckily for us, we have a world of healthy choices - and enough reason to let go of our old pillows, as they may contain all kinds of nightmarish thingies like dust mites, fungus, mildew, mold and even old skin cells. Change your pillow within a year and a half as most pillows are usually past their prime within two years.
Your personal sleeping style and the position you sleep in will help determine which pillow is best for you. Your pillow should help keep your body aligned, filling the gap between your mattress and your neck to dynamically assume that position throughout the night - so your head is in line with your shoulders and not too far backward or forward.
How do you sleep? On your back: Use a flatter, thinner pillow On your side: Use a firmer pillow On you stomach: Use a thin pillow and tuck a thin pillow under your stomach to help avoid lower back pain
How to choose the right one for you
While pillows are made from a variety of products from buckwheat to memory it is best to choose a chemical free fill. These days you will find a large variety - from cotton, down, eco-friendly fill, tree fibres, to latex and wool. They come in all shapes and include both classic shape and contour shape pillows as well as micro fibre percale casing pillows, memory foam pillows, latex and synthetic down pillow and even spine aligning boomerang pillows and there’s more…
What to look for when you buy a pillow:
- If your pillow is stuffed with foam, go by how dense it is. The greater the density, the more support and the less the foam will breakdown.
- Memory Foam: These pillows help reduce pressure points by adjusting to the shape of your body, with each nightly toss and turn. These pillows come in a variety of shapes and give great support to the neck. Sometimes the foam can make you hot, and give off an unpleasant odor.
- Latex: Firmest type of pillow and is resistant to mold and dust mites. They help with neck support and do a good job of helping the back and neck be aligned while sleeping.
- Wool and Cotton are hypoallergenic, resist mold and dust mite and are fairly firm.
- Down Feather are thought to be one of the better pillows for a good night’s sleep. The stuffing can be moved around, to customize the support where you need it most. Half feathers, half cotton works well as a pillow stuffing.
- Synthetic Down Pillows, Polyester Fiber filled are a good alternative if you are cost conscious. Although these pillows are cheaper, they usually will not last as long. The quality of the pillow is calculated by the power fill. The higher the fill, the higher the quality.
To pick the perfect pillow, see our wide range of pillows here.
photo credit: hang_in_there via photopin cc
» Serta: Sleep solutions that have stood the test of time
Since 1931 Serta has been breaking new ground when it comes to comfortable sleep solutions. Established in the US between the wars, Serta burst into the mattress market with the pioneering Perfect Sleeper mattress. The company started off setting the bar high, and has never looked back. Today, they ...
» What you need to know about your body while you’re sleeping
For most of us, the idea of going to sleep means lights out, quite literally. Your head hits the pillow and your are out for the count. The next thing you know it’s the morning after and you are jumping out of bed ready to face another day in the trenches.
How often do you stop to think about ...
» The Augusta Mattress from Silentnight
The Augusta mattress from Silentnight is the one of the top products from this prestigious international brand. Hand made using time tested techniques combined with the most cutting edge technology, Silentnight really does know the secret to a great night’s sleep.
The Augusta mattress comprise...