Is your pillow giving you a pain in the neck?
June 09, 2014
Your pillow supports a quarter of your total body weight, and since we spend about a third of our lives with our head on a pillow, It may well be influencing the quality of your sleep. Make sure it does the job well.
Pillow talk? No, rather pillow health.
So how to go about picking the perfect pillow for a healthier you. Goldilocks found her “just right for me” pillow by testing and trying what was available to her...Luckily for us, we have a world of healthy choices - and enough reason to let go of our old pillows, as they may contain all kinds of nightmarish thingies like dust mites, fungus, mildew, mold and even old skin cells. Change your pillow within a year and a half as most pillows are usually past their prime within two years.
Your personal sleeping style and the position you sleep in will help determine which pillow is best for you. Your pillow should help keep your body aligned, filling the gap between your mattress and your neck to dynamically assume that position throughout the night - so your head is in line with your shoulders and not too far backward or forward.
How do you sleep? On your back: Use a flatter, thinner pillow On your side: Use a firmer pillow On you stomach: Use a thin pillow and tuck a thin pillow under your stomach to help avoid lower back pain
How to choose the right one for you
While pillows are made from a variety of products from buckwheat to memory it is best to choose a chemical free fill. These days you will find a large variety - from cotton, down, eco-friendly fill, tree fibres, to latex and wool. They come in all shapes and include both classic shape and contour shape pillows as well as micro fibre percale casing pillows, memory foam pillows, latex and synthetic down pillow and even spine aligning boomerang pillows and there’s more…
What to look for when you buy a pillow:
- If your pillow is stuffed with foam, go by how dense it is. The greater the density, the more support and the less the foam will breakdown.
- Memory Foam: These pillows help reduce pressure points by adjusting to the shape of your body, with each nightly toss and turn. These pillows come in a variety of shapes and give great support to the neck. Sometimes the foam can make you hot, and give off an unpleasant odor.
- Latex: Firmest type of pillow and is resistant to mold and dust mites. They help with neck support and do a good job of helping the back and neck be aligned while sleeping.
- Wool and Cotton are hypoallergenic, resist mold and dust mite and are fairly firm.
- Down Feather are thought to be one of the better pillows for a good night’s sleep. The stuffing can be moved around, to customize the support where you need it most. Half feathers, half cotton works well as a pillow stuffing.
- Synthetic Down Pillows, Polyester Fiber filled are a good alternative if you are cost conscious. Although these pillows are cheaper, they usually will not last as long. The quality of the pillow is calculated by the power fill. The higher the fill, the higher the quality.
To pick the perfect pillow, see our wide range of pillows here.
photo credit: hang_in_there via photopin cc
» Product Focus: Comfort Solutions Bellini Bed Set
Whether you’re talking about the Italian painter; the Italian opera composer; the Italian champagne cocktail or the mattress double base set: Bellini denotes robust and decadent comfort.
This bed set comes to you from Comfort Solutions, the pre-eminent international supplier to the exacting an...
» Mattress Myths Busted
It has been said that buying a mattress is a lot like purchasing a new car, as comparing prices, features and brands can be time consuming thanks to the multitude of variables that are part and parcel of both purchasing experiences. Thankfully however, thanks to Bed King buying a new bed or mattress...
» How Often Do I Really Need To Wash My Bedding?
How often is considered often enough to strip that bed and do some laundry?
Cold winter mornings are best spent in bed. From freshly baked bagels and croissants to full English breakfasts, we have all been spoiled with breakfast in bed at some point in our lives, but it is not merely food stains tha...